My newest car

Others make

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

kevlar corolla

My newest car

Post by kevlar corolla »

I thought about building another car from scratch but decided to buy one instead and just enjoy the driving/set-up bit for a change.Its an F500,uses a 500cc rotax snowmible engine and cvt and weighs 800lbs with driver.Going to autox it this summer and road race next year.

Example of autox'ing F500;
http://youtu.be/K0ofct1FdSM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joel26
VIP Member

Re: My newest car

Post by joel26 »

nice car, can't wait to see some vids...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

That is bad ass Tom. Nice acquisition. How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking?

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

I was attracted to the F500 due to its low entry price,I paid $5700 US funds for the car with a bunch of spares and a set of new race tires mounted on new wheels,another set of scrubbed race tires on nearly new wheels,another set of junk tires on older wheels and a set of junk rains on a set of wheels plus the 4 donut spares for storage/trailering.Engine is pretty fresh and the rest of the car is in decent condition considering it was built in 1990 with several upgrades over the years.The other bonus to this class of car is they have had minimal rule changes so that an older chassis like mine can compete with a newly built car.
These things are tiny,for reference the wheels are 10"x8" and the tires pictured are 18" overall diameter in the 1st pic.

Body off shot from the weekends work bee.

mcote
Tourist

Post by mcote »

Wow. That's an awesome little car

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Wow WTF did this run you if you don't mind sharing?

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

As mentioned in my last post $5700.

I finally drove it for the 1st time on sunday,was frickin cold and included high winds and a sideways snow storm from noon onwards.I left after 3 runs due to the extreme weather,no way to get any heat into the tires at all.Its pretty quick but SOOO much different thank anything I've ever driven,I didn't drive it very well-in fact I sucked quite badly with cones on every run.I ordered a 2 part foam kit so I can make a seat,I hurt in many places after banging into multiple things inside the cockpit.
I'll try it again the weekend after next hopefully with better weather and driver restraint system,hopefully better results worth posting video.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Drove the car again nearly 2 weeks ago,better weather and grip.Discovered once the speed was ramped up by neck couldn't handle the driving position combined with the rough ride(my neck is whacked from a couple of bad falls from roofs yrs ago).Ftd by miles but nearly puked in the helmet after making 3 runs back to back,super dizzy and nausous and packed up and left.Have had a headache since,placed car for sale and it sold today.

No idea yet what my next car will be,might actually be a boat and relax with the fam in the summer for a bit to regroup.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Oh man, I'm sorry you had to let the car go Tom. Get another AE86 ;).

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Thanks,didn't have it long enough to get attached to it so no big deal.I bought a dwarf car chassis,not 100% sure what I'm going to do with it just yet but it was only $500 so not a big loss if I change my mind again.
I did think about tracking down my old Kevlar corolla,I'm geared up trailer/tow rig wise for a small light car and the corolla is just too big.Plus I'd need to start all over with suspension and drivetrain anyways.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Any polaroids of the dwarf? I'd like to catch a glimpse.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

No pics yet,might take one soon for you to show what I'll be starting with.I'm thinking I'll put off the build until next yr as I just bought a supercharger for the e30 so I'll work on it this winter and autox/track it next yr while I gather bits for the dwarf than blitz the build on it.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Looking forward to seeing it Tom :tu:

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

haha thats wild
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Mine is the same body as this but needs much work to look this clean.