My new build

Others make

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

85levin

Re: My new build

Post by 85levin »

AWESOME BUILD! can't wait to see those vids.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

If I can pull it off and get the damn thing ready in time I'll be too tired to drive it well enough to want others to see it. :)

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

I can't get the damn thing to run,for some reason the injectors aren't firing-they have 12.5 volts at them but the ecu isn't triggering them.Everything else is in place for it to run and drive,must've done something right with the design as I was pretty surprised when I cornerweighted the car.
With my weight in lead in the seat and sitting on leveled scale pads I set the ride height by leveling the lower control arms with a digital level than checked the corner weights,it was sitting at 49.4-pretty damn close.I only had to adjust opposite corner spring perches less than a 1/4 turn each to hit the magically 50.0
The left/right side percentage is also pretty good with the right side being light at 49.6%,its 57.7% rear heavy which is right about what I figured it would be.Didn't want it to be over 60%,with a heavier fuel load than it was weighed with it'll be close to 55%.And its a little heavier than I'd hoped with it being 927lbs wet with the heavy(34lb)wheel and tire combo in the pictures,with lightweight race wheels and hoosier slicks(approx 18lbs) it'll be well under the goal of 900lbs however
The alignment is done as well,went with a bit of a guess and set the front camber at -1.5,castor at 9 degrees and the toe at 1/8" toe out.Rear at -.5 camber,0 toe.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

hmmm, a small ground wire not connected somewhere?

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Dunno,good thing I can drive decent cause I suck with wiring.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

kevlar corolla wrote:ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D
YES! what was it tom? and vids please!

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Sadly I'm not 100% sure why its running versus before,I had to change a couple of rubber fuel line sections as they weren't high pressure line like I thought it was(one burst,lucky there was no spark or.....)and afterwards I pulled the plugs and gave it a little fuel in each hole.I just wanted to confirm the spark,fired right up and quit(tank had been drained to change the line sections)as expected.
It started so easily I thought what the hell lets add some fuel and try again,fired right up and ran great as if nothing was ever wrong.I'm afraid I don't have an explanation,makes me nervous for sure-just got home from work and it fired right up again so the fingers are crossed.
I have to put the car back together,including finalizing the wiring harness location with zip ties etc.I'm hoping to be able to try it on on saturday,its tough to find a location that will let you run around in an unlicensed/uninsured vehicle anymore-damn lawyers!.
If I get it back together I'll get some video even if its just out in the driveway running.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

inexplicable fixes...but what happens if it fails again and you don't know what the fix was? i guess it's best not to look a gift horse in the mouth. can't wait to see action vids tom.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

I think it was an internally collapsed piece of fuel line that was the cause,seems to suspect when the other thing changed was 2 short pcs used as couplers.I thought they were high pressure fuel line but I think they were actually just vacuum line and the fuel swelled the non compatible line enough that it didn't have enough pressure.When I removed tham they were like taffy and not good at all.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

I've driven it down the driveway a couple of times,it's going to be a fun little weapon to get up to speed with.

1st real test this saturday at a closed kart track near me,track is old and bumpy but will be a good spot to go thru the car and set-up before a real event.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

what class this time around tom? unlimited or what?

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

For solo 2 club events it runs in open mod,for regional level it will be an A-mod car.For solo 1 it'll be in the top mod class as well,should do well in all venues I think.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

1st drive completed,have some issues to sort.A "t" fitting started to leak water onto the header(can see the steam on the vid)and a lower control arm tub bent.I have a short term fix underway to allow(hopefully) it to run a couple solo 2 events before winter.
The vid is of my 3rd ever lap,after it I made a camber adjustment to correct a small push and made 1 more lap but thats when the tube bent and ended the test.I think it shows some decent speed considering the freshness of the build/driver combination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4eQ_5MQZXs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

Sounds great, and it looks like its fun to drive.. hope to see more vids and good luck to you.