dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: My new build

Post by dr.occa »

killer man, just killer!

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Thanks,I'm going to be honest and say for a brand new scratch built car with less than 3 miles on it to handle as well as it does I'm pretty impressed with myself. :D

I was surprised to see from the outside the car/driver looks pretty smooth,didn't feel that way behind the wheel and I wasn't even pushing it that hard.The only corner I pushed pretty hard was coming out of the 1st left hander,the rest of the lap was at about a 6 or 7 out of 10-I need more seat time to get comfortable.The brake pedal has a long travel and isn't very trustworthy to me yet,seems to stop well enough but......

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

the chassis looks less forgiving and appears to handle a lot like a large go kart: very stiff. it looks twitchy (not a criticism mind you) like an F1 car. i'd like to see you go at it on a bigger track tom.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Actually that kart track has survived over 30 canadian winters-its a long way from smooth,I've watched that vid(only 1 I have)at least 30 times and I didn't think it looked twitchy at all.I wouldn't have called it twitchy from behind the wheel either,I generally prefer a car set-up on the loose side so I can dance it when I want to and this right now isn't quite as loose as I'd like.
Being really short I'll sneak up on that slowly,I think I'll leave the chassis settings where they are and put some attention to the brake bias to tune that untill I'm happy so I can get into the corner with some serious speed and then work the set-up for mid corner out.With the current set-up I can throttle steer 2nd gear corners when I want to,that track only has 1 increasing radius to really play with and that was the 1st left hander,the rest don't really allow anything too crazy or its off to the rhubarb you go. :D

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

wow that is awesome. i didnt realize how small it was until i saw you in it. looks like it pulls pretty good. congrats tom.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

i watched the footage again tom. it wasn't as "twitchy" as i had recalled and obviously imagined. the lack of noticeable body roll most likely inspired me to jump to that impression. i'd like to correct myself: she's quite firm and planted tom :D

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

dr.occa wrote:i watched the footage again tom. it wasn't as "twitchy" as i had recalled and obviously imagined. the lack of noticeable body roll most likely inspired me to jump to that impression. i'd like to correct myself: she's quite firm and planted tom :D

No worries,I have agree with you and say its pretty well planted-far better than I expected right out of the shop and to the track.Remember the car has about 1 mile on it in that vid,I'm not very good at breaking things in easy. :D

Its gonna go or blow is my motto. :wink:

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

mooreofit wrote:wow that is awesome. i didnt realize how small it was until i saw you in it. looks like it pulls pretty good. congrats tom.

The cars not that small,I'm really just over 7 feet tall!.

I'm not but need to be to make my ideal weight I suspect. :oops:

85levin

Post by 85levin »

looks great!

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

my goodness that is incredible! It really did look f1-esque.
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

my goodness that is incredible! It really did look f1-esque.
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

AznTKDmstr wrote:my goodness that is incredible! It really did look f1-esque.

Well thank you.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

AznTKDmstr wrote:my goodness that is incredible! It really did look f1-esque.

Well thank you. :wink:

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

I ran the car in competition for the 1st time today,car drove ok but needs some more set-up time(and different tires) as it understeered far too much.
All in all the car gave me a good workout and in return I gave it the mod class win and event ftd. :)

I'll try and get the on board vid up tomorrow night.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

congrats on that tom. looking forward to the footage. could you post a layout of the course while you're at it as well?